Did you know this year marks Maine’s 200th anniversary of statehood?
Known for its jagged, rocky coastline; low, rolling mountains; heavily forested interior; and picturesque waterways – Maine was admitted to the Union as the 23rd state under the Missouri Compromise on March 15, 1820.
To mark this historic event, the USPS is releasing a new stamp of Maine – which can be pre-ordered here.
We have also updated our “Greetings From Maine” postcard to display the 200th-anniversary banner throughout 2020.
Here are some fun Maine trivia:
- Birthplace of prohibition
- Home to the L.L. Bean company
- Earmuffs were invented here
- Home to the legendary Paul Bunyan woodsman
- Site of the first revolutionary war naval battle
- Blueberry capital of the world
- The only state with one syllable
- Lobster capital of the USA
- Home to Burt’s Bees
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin written here
- The most easterly point in the United States
By the way, did you know we have large letter “Greetings From” postcards for all 50 states — plus Washington D.C. and the U.S. Territories? Each postcard features fun facts & interesting trivia in a cool retro design.
Now you can send a cool postcard about your state by clicking here.
– The Arndt Family